Pages

Friday, November 13, 2015

Challenging Yourself

"Challenge is the pathway to engagement and progress in our lives." Brendon Burchard

A key to improving your fitness is challenging yourself during your workouts. I don't know much about our biochemistry and the physiological processes that cause our muscles and other physical systems to get stronger. However, I do know that when I push myself, I can typically do a little better each workout.

Our bodies are amazing. When we try to lift something heavy, our body adapts so that it gets stronger. When we try to run faster, our body adapts so that it is a little easier the next time. As I mentioned the other day, when the body doesn't get challenged or forced to use its muscles, the body takes away resources that maintain that muscle. Exercise along with proper rest and nutrition are the key to creating the functional bodies we want.

Of course, not all challenge is good. We have to be careful not to overwhelm our body's ability to adapt by pushing it too far. Besides hampering our progress, we potentially risk injury and conditions such as rhabdomyolysis (aka Rhabdo). However, I think we can find a balance between being too comfortable in our exercise and overdoing it. (The chart shown is a representation of the intensity I try to exert during my workouts to challenge myself)

It is important to track your exercise. By tracking what you do, how long it took you to do it, and how much resistance you used, you can see your progress along the way and plan to challenge yourself on future workouts.

I hope this post will inspire you to challenge some of your current bests in various exercises. No matter what level you are - whether you are starting out or an experienced athlete - there is always a next level that you can go for. Do it during your next workout!

November 13, 2015 - Workout

Time of Workout: 1:30 PM
Location: YMCA

Warm-up: 3 min. Rowing (559 m)
Push-ups 5 reps x 3 sets
Stretching

Bench Press:
1. 115 x 5
2. 125 x 5
3. 125 x 5
4. 125 x 5
5. 135 x 5 Goal Met! New Personal Record!
This last set felt great! I focused on my technique, particularly my bar path and having a good grip on the bar. 

Bodyweight Squats: 5 reps x 3 sets
Front Squat:
1. 95 x 5 New Personal Best!
2. 95 x 5
3. 95 x 5
Inspired by my Bench Press performance, I decided to take a calculated risk. I have to admit I was also motivated by watching a guy do some very heavy squat singles. I need to work on keeping my chest up and my back vertical. I think I try to sit back too much which puts the bar in front of my center of gravity, which causes some struggle. The nice thing about the heavier weight is that it exposes this weakness so that I can correct it.

Rowing: 1500m in 7:49.9
This was not easy particularly coming off the front squats. I focused on 10 strokes at a time and the position of my back. I felt my form was pretty good although perhaps it broke down a little in the last 300 meters or so. 

Plank: 30 seconds x 3 reps with 30 second rest in between.

Stretching: 5 minutes

Total Workout Time: 70 minutes. I took a little longer in between sets in Bench Press and Front Squat since I was going for personal bests. This is acceptable and I had the time today. I wanted to stretch more afterwards but had to get home before my son's bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment