Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Moderating Enthusiasm

November 4, 2015 - Recovery Day

Bryan Running!
Do you ever get so excited about something whether it be exercise or anything else that you go crazy doing the activity and learning about it...only to fizzle out after a few enthusiastic weeks or months? This has happened to me quite a few times.

For example, three years ago, I ran my first (and so far only) half marathon. I was invited by a friend to join her and I accepted. I went crazy, looking up training plans, changing my diet dramatically, I had two hour running sessions at times. I lost some weight. I ran the race and had a great time. Then after the race, I didn't run again for about six months.

What did I learn from this? First, I learned that there is a place between "all-out" and "nothing." I also learned that I need to proactively moderate my enthusiasm. Instead of spending all of my free time or neglecting my other responsibilities, I fit fitness into my week more sensibly. However, I make sure that I prioritize my business and family activities first. 

This blog and my current workout efforts are the result of this state of mind. Now, I don't want to discourage you to be enthusiastic about exercising. It's only that if you want to develop a consistent habit or activity level, you need to spread that enthusiasm out over a longer period of time. 

Hence, today is a rest day - I did 10 minutes of foam rolling and stretching. Partly because I have a long day at work and I want to conserve my energy, but also because I want to refresh my mind and my enthusiasm for my next workout. So try moderating your enthusiasm so that it lasts for the long haul!

God bless you and have a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment