Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

November 17, 2015: Progress with Accountability

As I was working out today, I was reflecting on how this blog and the videos I make have helped me to progress with my fitness. First, I enjoy writing and making the videos. It has become a hobby in itself in a way. At this point, I now also feel a small responsibility to my readers - all 4 of you! The blog has become a source of accountability to me.

I think a lot of people are afraid of accountability. We don't like when we need to report to someone, or when our actions have consequences for other people. A lot of people just want to do what they want to do with no regard for how it affects other people. This includes our health among other things. 

Before, I used to think of fitness as an extracurricular. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized how important it was to my life as a whole. My fitness and health affects my energy to do the things I have to do - my responsibilities. This includes being a father to my children and a husband to my wife. It includes having the energy to work a full week serving my clients in my business. It also includes having the energy and strength to take care of my house and property. Fitness matters! It is more than an enjoyable activity - it is a responsibility.

If you are trying to develop good habits for exercise, diet, or any other aspect of your life, try finding ways to become more accountable. Phone apps that track your diet or exercise like mapmyrun.com for example are great because they are visible and you can tap into the community if you wish for additional support. Maybe you have a friend who has similar goals to you. You can check in and support each other along the way.

Well, speaking of accountability, time to get back to work. God bless you!

November 17, 2017 Workout

Time of workout: 11 AM
Location: Basement

Warm-up: 3 min. Stationary bike
Joint Rotation

Overhead Press: 
1. 45 x 5
2. 55 x 5
3. 65 x 5
I have not done these in several years. I stuck with this weight for the rest of the sets because I still had full control of the weight but it was "hard."
4. 65 x 5
5. 65 x 5
I did something a little different in that I filmed every set and spent a minute watching it. I made a couple little corrections along the way, mainly in my grip.

Bodyweight Squat: 5 reps x 3 sets 
Warming up for Back Squat

Back Squat:
1. 65 x 5
2. 75 x 5
3. 95 x 5
4. 115 x 5
Working with heavier weight forced me to focus on my breathing and technique. It felt great. Hard...but great.

5 minute rest

Boxing Heavy Bag: 3 x 3-minute rounds with 1-minute rest
This felt good. I focused on keeping active with 4-5 punch combinations and footwork. The 2nd and 3rd rounds I picked up the pace as well as adding more power hooks at the ends of my combinations.

Stretching: 10 minutes

Total Workout Time: ~75 minutes I had a little more time today so I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment