Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Working Out When Sick

November 1, 2015

Today I debated whether or not I should work out as I have a little cold and sore throat. After reading this article about working out when sick, I decided to do a quick workout focusing on technique and skills. In summary, you shouldn't workout when the cold is in the lungs (or "below the neck") or if you have a fever. Otherwise, listen to your body!

Workout

Warm-up: Joint Rotation - 3 minutes 
I knew I was doing a less intense workout, so I just loosened up a little.

Turkish Get Up (TGU): 5 minutes with dumbbell (~8 pounds). Alternated reps with each side.
I found some pain in my right knee (I had surgery a couple years ago and there is pain sometimes on contact with the incision). But I worked through it as I knew it wasn't an injury. 

Heavy Bag: 3 minutes (light intensity)

Turkish Get Up (TGU): 5 minutes with dumbbell (~8 pounds). Alternated reps with each side.

Kettlebell Swings: 3 sets of 10 reps

Stretching: 6 minutes

Total Workout Time: ~25 minutes

Comments

I didn't really plan out my workout other than that I wanted to practice the TGU. My form is still there, but I wanted to use light weights for safety as I tried to focus on technique. I think a little added resistance will be good because the light weight allowed me to "cheat" as I didn't have to hold the weight directly overhead - e.g. I could hold it at an angle without it falling.

My Turkish Get-up technique is from Jeff Martone - both through his kettlebell book and his Crossfit videos. It is also known as a "tactical" TGU in that it is meant to be the fastest way to do it and not necessarily focusing on the perfect aesthetic. However, it's functional and the exercise will be great for my overall core and posture development.

Today's workout was about "play." I didn't want to focus too much on the design of my workout. My main goals was to practice TGU and threw in the heavy bag work and KB swings because I felt like it. It was a fun workout for me and  a good used of my time on a busy day of housework and spending time with the family.

Resources


No comments:

Post a Comment