Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Start Where You Are

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." -Arthur Ashe

A couple years ago, I tore my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and my meniscus. After surgery to repair the damage to my knee, I couldn't put any weight on it for a week. My leg quickly shrunk to half of its thickness due to muscle atrophy.

However, three days after surgery I started physical therapy. All I could do was squeeze my quads slightly to straighten my leg. It seemed like it would be forever before I could regain use of my leg much less do any of the activities I had enjoyed before - e.g. running and martial arts.

I just kept doing my exercises. Each week, the physical therapists increased the difficulty and added more exercises. Over the following months, I saw my leg slowly regain mobility and strength. Now I can run, row, squat, and do martial arts again!

No matter where you are physically, you can do something to improve yourself. I am not trying to downplay the physical challenges that some may have. However, I think a lot of people wait for the "right time" to get started with something that will benefit them - like exercise.

What can you do to get started today? Can't do a proper push-up? Try pushing off the wall and work your way to a full push-up from the ground. Can't run? Start by walking down the driveway and add a few feet each day. Don't have time? Do a few bodyweight squats or push-ups during commercials of your favorite television show. Just get started!


November 12, 2015 - Rest Day

I'm feeling good overall, but busy with work and a little tired from lack of proper sleep. It is a good day to recover from a few good workouts and looking forward to picking it up against tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment