Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

November 23, 2015: Emotional Training

Today, I was a little emotional while I was training. I had a few things on my mind and I had to consider whether or not it was advisable to work out today. I did, and I think I did the right thing, but here are a couple thoughts.

On the one hand, I found it difficult to focus. I figured I wasn't going super heavy with my lifts, so I would be okay. Also, I refocused and asked myself whether I was present before I took up the barbell. However, I think if I were lifting a lot more weight I would have opted for a different workout.

Working out did help me to work through the emotions though. It was good to separate from the situation and do something productive. As the weight went up on my squats, I found I had to really focus, which helped me take my mind off my challenges. It was cathartic in a way.

I think ultimately you have to ask yourself three questions. First, can you focus enough for the exercise to be safe? If the answer is no, then don't work out. The second question is whether you should be doing something else. For example, if my emotional stress was caused by something I could have done something about at that moment, then it would have been better to do that. Third, will working out be helpful? If the answer is neutral or yes, then I think it might be a good idea.

Sometimes, you will not be in the mood to work out. You might be thinking about something at work or in your personal life that is distracting you. It's not the end of the world to take a day off. However, sometimes it might be helpful to your emotional state to exercise. Remember to put fitness and exercise in its place when other things are occupying your mind. Consider your priorities and safety when making your decision. God bless you.

November 23, 2015 Workout

Time of workout: 4:00 PM

Warm-up: Stationary bike 3 minutes
Stretching

BW Squat: 5 reps x 3 sets

Front Squat: 
1. 45 lbs. x 5 reps
2. 55 lbs. x 5 reps
3. 65 lbs. x 5 reps.
4. 75 lbs. x 5 reps
I warmed up very deliberately and slowly. I was not feeling great, but I wanted to be productive. I took my time to refocus myself before each set. After this set, I felt I was ready to focus and tackle a heavier weight. 
5. 95 lbs. x 5 reps
6. 95 lbs. x 5 reps


I still need to work on my form. I kind of dip forward a little sometimes when I drive out from the bottom. However, I felt a lot more comfortable with this weight and my knee felt fine after warming up.

I did a couple Turkish Get-ups with light weight. However, I realized I was running late to pick up the kids! I stretched for a few minutes then ran out to pick them up from school.


No comments:

Post a Comment